Skip to main content

Preparing for the tax season – Medical Scheme Tax Credits

March 25, 2024

Minister of Finance, Mr Enoch Godongwana, during his Budget Speech on 21 February 2024, confirmed that the Medical Scheme Fees Tax Credit (MTC) will remain for this tax year. The tax year commenced on 1 March 2024, and the monthly rebates for medical scheme contributions are as follows:

  • Taxpayer: R364
  • First dependant: R364
  • Every subsequent dependant: R246

It is important to understand how this rebate works; it is non-refundable and is used to reduce the normal tax a person pays. Remember that an employer is obligated to adjust the monthly PAYE deductions by the medical tax credit, and therefore, employees would have already received the medical tax credit during the year if the medical scheme premium is deducted via payroll. Additionally, it follows that these tax credits are thus applicable to taxpayers only.

We always encourage South African taxpayers to prepare their relevant financial and supporting documentation well in advance to facilitate a smooth filing process. With this in mind, it is important to take note of the following dates:

  • The deadline (closing date) for non-provisional taxpayers is 23 November 2024
  • Taxpayers who file online have until 24 October 2024 to submit their return
  • Employers are required to issue employee tax certificates (IRP5/IT3(a)) by 31May 2024
  • Medical Scheme Tax Certificates are usually available from the last week of May

Understanding additional claimable expenses for Medical Scheme Members

The Additional Medical Expenses Tax Credit (AMTC) is a non-refundable rebate and is used to reduce the normal tax a person pays, similar to the MTC. This rebate is calculated against the qualifying out-of-pocket medical expenses that an individual who belongs to a South African registered medical scheme incurred. If you submit all your medical expenses to your medical aid, this amount is normally reflected on the tax certificate from the Medical Aid as ‘claims not paid’, and you will not need to calculate this yourself when submitting your taxes. Here is a list of qualifying medical expenses:

  • Services rendered and medicines supplied by any duly registered medical practitioner, dentist, optometrist, homoeopath, naturopath, osteopath, herbalist, physiotherapist, chiropractor or orthopaedist.
  • Hospitalisation in a registered hospital or nursing home.
  • Home nursing by a registered nurse, midwife or nursing assistant, including services supplied by any nursing agency.
  • Medicines prescribed by any duly registered medical practitioner and acquired from any duly registered pharmacist.
  • Expenditure incurred outside South Africa in respect of services rendered or medicines supplied which are substantially similar to the services and medicines listed above.
  • Any expenses prescribed by the Commissioner and incurred because of any physical impairment or disability.

The calculation of the AMTC rebate is fairly complex; it is based on the individual’s taxable income, and there are qualifying categories such as insured persons 65 years and older, insured persons/spouse or child with a disability or persons under 65 with no disability. Please click on this link, or you can access the details of the calculation on

Paying Medical Scheme Contributions for 3rd parties.

When a taxpayer is paying scheme contributions from their personal bank account for a spouse or parents who are not on the same membership, they can include this as part of their SARS return. If SARS requests proof, a Medical Aid contribution certificate from the medical scheme will be required with proof of payment, as well as a letter indicating the reason you’re making payment where you’re not the main member and whether the spouse or parents are financially dependent on you.

Medical Insurance

This is a type of insurance which is not registered as a medical scheme in South Africa and does not qualify for the above medical tax and additional medical tax credits.

It is advisable to seek out professional tax advice from a registered tax practitioner when filing your returns.

Article written by